Winter may well be your preferred time of year with all the holidays and festivals. While the white snowy fields with glistening and glittering stars in night amazes us, the days with all the snowfall gives an impression of a fairy tales. The big feast, bonfires, hot chocolates, makes winter everyone’s favorite season. However, winter has its own downturn too. The harsh winter winds are vile in wreaking havoc on the skin and no wonder even a person with a healthy skin experiences dry and flaky skin during winter. Actually, you need to take care of the skin to provide it protection from the windy, dry, and cold winds of winter. You don’t have to stay indoors most of the time in order to provide protection to your skin. You just have to take care of few things and winters will become all the more wonderful for you. Read on to know how to moisturize in winter and keep it soft, supple, and flawless during the harsh winter weather.
Tips For Moisturizing In Winter
- The first and foremost thing, which you have to keep in mind, is that you need to take a well balanced diet and drink enough water. With all the festivals and holidays, our diet goes out of window and we tend to binge on oily and junk foods. Since in winter we don’t feel much thirsty, we tend not to drink the usual eight glasses of water. Remember to drink enough water to keep you hydrated.
- Apply a high quality moisturizer preferably from Clinique, Olay or Estee Lauder day care moisturizer with vitamin E on your skin just after you have taken the bath. It helps in locking the moisture in your body for a longer time.
- If you cannot avoid going out in winter, wrap yourself with a long sleeved sweater and coats to combat harsh, cold wind of winters.
- Follow the regime of cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing even during winters. It will help you keep your skin healthy. In winters, dead cells generally accumulate on the skin, and by following this regime, you can keep your skin healthy.
- Wear sunscreen during the winters too as harmful sunrays may make the skin rough and dry.
- You could also keep your home’s environment warm by running a humidifier inside the house.
- Before you take bath, you could also apply oil preferably mustard, coconut, or olive oil on your skin. Warm a little amount of oil and generously apply it on your skin and massage it on the all the body parts. Now take bath how you normally do. It will not only keep your skin moisturized but will also keep the moisture intact for whole day.
- Don’t take very hot shower and instead go for shower with warm water. You could also opt for bathing during nighttime as you will be in the warm environment only and your skin will not have to combat cold wind.
- Never use soaps especially during winter. Use a moisturizing bathing lotion, which contains glycerin or olive oil.
- Protect your lips with a good lip balm. You could also apply a little mustard oil in your navel at the time of sleeping to keep it moist and from getting chapped.
- Some people suggest taking vitamin E supplements to keep the skin from drying. Taking omega-3 fish oils pills also help in combating dry skin.
- You could also use Shea butter or Cocoa butter to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
- You could also apply a mixture of almond oil and honey on your skin to keep it moisturized. Add few drops of honey in almond oil in 1/3 to 1 ratio and apply it on the skin. Rinse it if it feels too sticky otherwise keep in on your skin.