Taking care of your skin is always a regular job. We need to cleanse, tone, and moisturize it. Apart from that, we sometimes also wish that we had a lighter skin tone. The facts remain that women (and now men), are vain, and companies are keen to capitalize in this regard. With the right research, and dedicated attitude, skin whitening is not that tedious a task.
Skin Whitening Tips – How To Avoid, Reduce And Stop Skin Darkening
The few ways in which darkening of skin can be avoided, without any treatment are enlisted:
- Look for a sunscreen which has UVA and UVB protection. Dual protection results in better outcome.
- Avoid exposure to sun between 10:00 am – 3:00 pm, since the sun and the UVA rays are at its strongest.
- Wearing a sunscreen, irrespective of using skin whitening products is a must.
- It is essential that you use a good moisturizer, as hydrating the skin is necessary.
- Vitamin C supplements, act as a great antioxidant for the production of melanin, thereby reducing chances of skin darkening.
What Causes Skin Darkening?
Cells called melanoctes are responsible for the skin color. They are present in the outermost layer of the skin called epidermis. These cells produce and distribute melanin, which is a protein pigment that is dark in color, and acts as the most important protection against UV rays. When too much melanin is produced, it results in skin darkening. Another reason for skin darkening is the exposure time in the sun. UV rays penetrate despite sunscreens; hence, it is essential to limit it.
Natural, Herbal And Homemade Remedies For Skin Whitening
- A bunch of homemade, natural remedies for skin whitening have been enlisted:
- A pack where I tsp of milk powder, 1 tsp of honey, a tsp of lemon juice and half tsp of almond oil is mixed and applied on the face for 15 minutes, helps bring shine to the skin and also removes tan.
- An Oatmeal, curd and tomato juice mixture also helps. It is to be kept on for 20 minutes and then washed off with cold water.
- Also, placing sliced raw potatoes on the face has proven to help reduce blemishes and other marks.
- A solution of turmeric powder, when applied with lime juice (natural bleach), has great results in removing tan.
- A Curd and dried orange peel mixture also help reduce darkened blemishes. This can be washed off with cold water after 15minutes.
- A tbsp of gram flour, mixed with 2 tsp of raw milk, and 2-3 drops of lime juice works wonders acting as an antioxidant. This application is to be repeated for 4 weeks.
Skin Whitening Creams
For the population, there are a great number of products that are available in the market. However, the few products that are deemed to have the best response with no side effects include – Fair &Lovely, Melederm (where skin pigmentation is the cause of skin darkening), L’Oreal, Olay, Vaseline skin whitening cream, and Nivea. They have been in the market for some time, and are hugely accepted by the population.
How Do Skin Clinic Helps
Skin care clinics offer their services in skin whitening, by using -various peels, facials, anti-oxidants that help reduce pigmentation and tan. Use of discoloration agents (chemical and natural), is highly popular. Most of the times, skin clinics use more medical creams, than those available in the market. A regular regime helps the client maintain their skin tone evenly. Laser surgery, is another service offered by skin clinics.
Side Effects Of Using Skin Whitening Products
Sometimes, we tend to think that expensive products mean better results. The price tag, doesn’t define it, unfortunately. It is always helpful, to check the composition of a product before purchase. Elements to be avoided are mercury, hydroquinone, and steroid, as they have harmful long term effects. Mercury being toxic – poisons blood and has the capacity to harm body organs. Hydroquinone can lead to skin cancer, being carcinogenic. And lastly, steroids thin the skin, which eventually makes them more vulnerable to infections.